Zoji Bread Problem

"Ron Cochran" <cochran@vbe.com>
Fri, 27 Dec 1996 19:55:09 -0600
v096.n070.16
I have noticed that when I use the Zoji standard white bread recipe (from
their bread book, baked on the white/whole grain cycle) and substitute
about 1/3 whole-wheat flour, it always sags at the top of the loaf.  That
is, by the end of the there is a large crater in the top of the loaf.  When
I start to cut the loaf, I find a large hole under the crater, which causes
about the first three slices of bread to have a large hole in the middle
and to be fairly worthless.

Has anyone else seen this with a Zoji machine or have an idea what is
causing it?  I have tried backing off from the normal 2 tsp. of yeast to 1
3/4 tsp., and just got a shorter loaf with a crater in the top of the loaf.
 The problem also occurred once with normal bread flour, but it is rare -
probably less than 10% of the loaves.

Take care!

Ron

Ron Cochran
cochran@vbe.com
1002 Pembrook Dr.
Neenah, WI  54956
voice-414-729-0742

"If you don't learn anything from your mistakes,
then there's no sense in making them!"