Desperation Eggnog Bread

phyllis.johnpoll@ncsl.org (Phyllis Johnpoll)
Tue, 14 Jan 1997 19:47:48 GMT
v097.n004.16
I invented this recipe out of sheer desperation. We were having friends
over for Twelfth Night, and I'd planned to make a chocolate chip yeast
bread for an unusual touch during the meal. Imagine my amazement when,
on Sunday morning, I discovered my shopping list between the
refrigerator and the counter, and my husband sheepishly admitting he
hadn't been able to find it when he went to the store the night before,
so he faked it.

Okay, YOU try making chocolate chip bread without milk or chocolate
chips!

I substituted and came up with this. It's got a very lovely,
challah-like texture, and is only slightly sweet, despite the quantity
of sugar appearing in the recipe. I made this in a DAK R2D2 model ABM,
using the dough setting.

DESPERATION EGGNOG BREAD

2 1/4 tsp yeast                 2 Tb brown sugar
3 C flour                       3 Tb butter or margarine
1 Tb wheat gluten (opt)         1 1/8 C eggnog (adj for rich nog)
1 tsp salt                      1 egg
2 Tb white sugar                1 tsp vanilla extract
                                cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, etc, to taste

(Yeah, "to taste" is a tough measurement in a recipe for the ABM, but
that's how I did it - I didn't bother measuring...)

Process on dough setting. When cycle is complete, put (plop might be a
more appropriate verb here) into a greased Bundt pan and allow to rise
until doubled in size. Preheat oven to 375, and bake 30 minutes or until
just beginning to brown.

Note: I live in Denver, so your measurements may vary due to difference
in altitude. I usually have to add additional liquid and I swear by
wheat gluten.