RE: Starter Temperature

jimbo@cyberhighway.net (Jim Hewitt)
Mon, 20 Jan 1997 22:19:27 -0700 (MST)
v097.n006.4
Howdy,

>Can anyone suggest a method to keep sourdough starter warm (i.e., 70 -
>85 degrees) in a house that remains in the low 60's for the winter?  I
>would like to "reactivate" my dried starter, but don't have a place in
>the house that reaches the appropriate temperature range.  I don't have
>a pilot light in the oven, so I can't place it in there.  And I can't
>put in on top of my water heater...it's outside.

You might want to verify with a thermometer after it's been on for a couple
of hours, but a low wattage light bulb (25W, 40W, or 60W???) under a box (or
otherwise covered but not too tightly) should be able to hold that kind of
temperature.  If you starter needs to "breathe", then use a more open box
but try to avoid drafts.

Jim
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
  `--. .-.-.  .-| `--. .---.   | Jim Hewitt  jimbo@cyberhighway.net |
 .-. | | |  \/  | .-. | .-. |  | http://www.cyberhighway.net/~jimbo |
 | `-' | | |\/| | `-' | `-' |  |    These are only my opinions.     |