Robert Bursey, Romancing The Stone, Sourdough Question

yoda <yodafmly1@nternet.net>
Mon, 20 Jan 1997 08:39:25 -0500
v097.n006.5
Robert,
I can't answer the questions regarding the stone, however I can about the
starter.  I was given a starter by a friend, from Nancy Silverton's "Breads
of the La Brea Bakery".  It is the first starter I have had any luck
maintaining, and have been producing the most wonderful breads for months,
now.  I have dried batches just in case something should happen to it.
Here is my favorite sour dough recipe, which makes a wonderful pizza crust.
                    *  Exported from  MasterCook II  *

                    Sour Dough Sun Dried Tomato Bread

Recipe By     : Ronda Warywoda
Categories    : Breads

                        *****Sponge ******
     1/2  C             Sourdough Starter
   1      C             Flour
     1/2  C             Warm Water -- 105°

                        *****Dough*****
     1/2  C             Oil Packed Sun-Dried Tomatoes* -- sliced
     1/2  C             Chopped Onion
     3/4  C             Warm Water -- 105°
   1      tsp           Salt
   2      tbsp          Olive Oil -- approx
   2 1/2  C             Flour -- to
   3 1/2  C             Flour
                        Corn Meal

1>  Sponge: Mix the starter, flour and water in a large glass or pottery
bowl.  Cover with plastic wrap and let ripen for 12 hours.
2>  When ready to  make bread, drain tomatoes. Add onion, water, salt,
tomatoes, oil (add to reserved oil to make 2 Tbsp) and 2 cups of flour.
3> Mix on medium for two minutes.  Add remaining flour 1/4 cup at a time
until it pulls away from the sides of bowl.  Continue kneeding unitl elastic.
4> Place in an oiled bowl, turn and cover with a damp towel.  Let rise until
doubled.  (If making pizza, this is the best time to roll and make.)
5> Gently work with hands to release air.  Let rise a second time.
6> Form into a round, flat loaf on a pan sprinkled with cornmeal.  Brush with
olive oil.  Cover and let rise for 45 minutes.
7> About 15 minutes  before baking, preheat oven to 400°.  Put a shallow pan
in the bottom rack.   Place bread on the center rack.  Immediately place 1
cup of ice cubes in shallow pan and close door.  Bake 25 to 30 minutes.

NOTES : * If using dry packed tomatoes, place in a small skillet with the
oil.  Heat over low heat for 8 minutes.