RE: Sourdough dilemma

enkidu@mail.utexas.edu (Enkidu)
Mon, 20 Jan 1997 15:03:18 -0600
v097.n006.7
<<<Hello, all.  I'm currently in the process of creating my very first sourdough
starter.  The directions for the starter make it very clear that I shouldn't
use anything metal in connection with it.  My question is, does that mean I
can't use my KitchenAid (with its stainless steel bowl) to make the actual
bread?>>>

The injunction against metal is half unproven-but-reasonable caution and
half old wives' tale. Starters can become quite acidic as they grow, and
they run the risk of etching any metal with which they're in _prolonged_
contact. In addition to ruining your pots, some believe that your starter
may end up with enough metal ions to have undesirable effects on those who
eat it. This, if it does occur, is a very slow process. Thus, there's no
danger in using metal utensils to mix either the dough or the starter, as
long as you don't leave them in there afterwards and you are careful to
clean them immediately. In the case of dough you probably don't have to go
even that far, since there's been enough flour added to significantly
buffer the starter.

Omar