Jewish Rye Bread

"Michael J. Seltzer" <mseltzer@concentric.net>
Mon, 20 Jan 1997 06:21:58 -0800
v097.n006.8
Dan Erwin of champaign, Ill asks for Jewish Rye Bread recipes. I'm going
to send Dan to two resources:

1. "Secrets of a Jewish Baker" by George Greenstein (The Crossing Press,
Freedom, California 95019, 1993)

Chapter Six has it all. To do it his way takes days to develop the sour!

2. The King Arthur "The Baker's Catalogue" (800-827-6836) frequently has
"Steph's Rye Bread."

This has a one-step sour sponge and then uses the ABM.

Now, this is me:

I  tried to use Steph's starter with Greenstein's recipe for the final
baking and got fair results. I keep promising to experiment till I get
it right...I don't want an ABM corn rye, I want the traditional shape
and crust. But, my household doesn't really like Jewish corn rye, even
when I buy it from the local baker (they do it right!) so I cook to
please others when it's my turn to cook.

Mike