Re: Ethiopian flat bread

Joyce L Owen <jowen@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU>
Sat, 25 Jan 1997 15:19:19 -0800 (PST)
v097.n008.11
Joyce Graver asked about Ethiopian flat bread (injera).  There was a recipe
posted a few months ago, and some discussion about injera and the various
grains used to make it.  I have made it several times with bread flour, and
right now I have some souring in the oven using brown rice flour!  I
haven't tried it yet with teff, an African grain.  One person mentioned a
restaurant that serves two kinds.  The big dinner plate is made with wheat,
and the dipping pieces around the edge with teff (or maybe vice versa).

Here's my recipe:
For each serving use 1 cup flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp sugar.  Add water
until the consistency is runny, like pancake batter.  Add a pinch of yeast,
though this may not be necessary, since there may be enough wild yeast and
bacteria floating around to make a good sourdough.  Cover with plastic wrap
and set the bowl in the oven with the light on for 2 or 3 days (or room
temperature for longer).  It should get bubbly and sour.  Heat a large
frypan, spray with non-stick stuff, and pour in some batter.  As it cooks,
bubbles come to the top and it gets spongy.  Cook until the top is no
longer wet.  Keep warm in oven.  Put on plates and cover with food that has
a good sauce to soak into the injera. Yum.

>From: Horton39@aol.com
>Subject: Ethiopian flat bread
>Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 08:41:39 -0500 (EST)
>
>A friend who lived for a time in Ethiopia wants me to ask for a recipe for a
>flat bread.  She couldn't spell the name, but she said it was like an inch
>thick sponge.  She gets it once in a while at ethnic food fairs.  If anyone
>can help I would much appreciate it.
>Joyce Graver, horton39@aol.com

Joyce L. Owen           jowen@oregon.uoregon.edu
Eugene OR
Visit the Website of the Fanconi Anemia Research Fund, Inc.
http://www.rio.com/~fafund