Flat bread from Jerusalem

bredlady@softdisk.com (G Nuttall)
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 13:25:21 -0600 (CST)
v097.n014.14
Walter writes:

>A friend is looking for a recipe for a flat bread that he bought on the
>street in the Old City of Jerusalem.  He described it as 8-10" in diameter
>with "black stuff" on the top--possibly a mixture of oil and seasonings.
>People tore pieces off to eat it.  Any thoughts?  Thanks. Walt

I've never been to Jerusalem, but I have had Afghan Snowshoe (naan) bread
with nigella sprikled on top (small black  seeds that have a pungent yet
oniony tang- usually use only a very few). Does this sound like what you
are looking for?  It is a flat bread that is somewhat soft and chewy.

If it does, the recipe can be found on page 40 of the "Flatbreads and
Flavors" cook book by Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Dugid ( ISBN - 068811411-3).
I'll bet you can find a copy of it in your local library.

 This may be similar to the bread your friend is searching for.  Has your
friend visited a local "Mid-eastern" bakery in the New York area?  They
should surely know of what you search for.