Sour Dough Rye

RVLowe@aol.com
Tue, 4 Mar 1997 16:57:45 -0500 (EST)
v097.n019.20
Thanks to all who have helped me. Here, hopefully is the recipe

Sourdough Rye Starter

2		Cups 		flour
1		Cup		yogurt, room temp
3/4		cup		water
2 1/2		Tbs.		cider vinegar
1		Tbs.		yeast
1/2		tsp.		crushed caraway seed
1/2		tsp.		ground cardamom

Combine all ingredients in large bowl and beat until well blended. Cover
and let stand @ room temp for 24 hours.

For the next three days add to the above mixture 1 cup rye flour, 2 Tbs.
brown sugar dissolved in 3/4 cup warm water, allowing to stand at room temp.
It is then ready to use. For each cup of starter that you use, replenish
with 3/4 cup warm water and 2 Tbs. brown sugar.

Bread

3-6 pieces of rye bread soaked in water and squeezed dry or about 1 1/2 cups

3		cups 		starter
1		pkg.		yeast
1		Tbs.		salt
2		Tbs.		caraway seeds
4		cups		white flour

In mixer with dough hook, place squeezed dry rye, starter, yeast, salt
caraway and 2 cups of the flour. Mix for 5  minutes. Add flour 1/4 to 1/2
cup at a time and knead for 10 min.

Allow to rise for 3/4 hour. Punch down, put on floured board, cut in half
and make each half into a loaf, round or long. Place on a baking sheet
prepared with cornmeal. Allow to rise for 45 minutes.

Preheat over to 450 and keep an empty pan in the oven while it's heating.
Five minutes before putting the bread in the oven, pour 1 cup hot water in
the preheated pan.

Cut top of bread with knife, brush with egg wash, sprinkle with caraway
seeds and bake approx. 40 minutes.  I found this recipe on the internet and
credit should be given to (leeson@admin.fhda.edu)

Enjoy it, its the best I've ever made or eaten.