REC: Honey Wheat Berry/bread temperature

music_class@earthlink.net (Katja)
Sat, 15 Mar 1997 10:08:51 -0800
v097.n023.3
c town, that website is AMAZING!!
(http://users.accesscomm.net/~prejean/index.htm)

It confirmed what I'd read somewhere about perfectly done bread having an
internal temperature of 200-210, so I take it out (sorry, no bread machine
;))  at 200F and let it cool and finish baking.  At that site you gave, the
baker said an internal temperature of 212, so ... close .. and I feel
better :).  I hated thumping and guessing .. now I use an instant read
thermometer and never sweat it.  Anyone who bakes bread in the oven who
didn't know this, I hope this tip serves you as well as it has me.

I **love** Oroweat Honey Wheat Berry Bread.  I've come close to it and love
this bread now .. especially when toasted.  I grind my own wheat and this
may make a difference regarding my enthusiasm, but I'm not sure.  This is
just ingredients because technique is the same as with any bread of this
type (for non-abm folks, sorry .. don't know how to convert but it
shouldn't be hard by comparing and copying similar type of recipe).

Honey Wheat Berry Bread

1 T. dry yeast (1 packet)
1 - 1 1/4 c. 110 degree liquid (all or part milk, I prefer for this)
pinch sugar or bit of the honey

2 T. oil (I don't always use that much)
1/4 c. honey

2 c. bread flour
1 c. whole wheat flour
1 t. salt
1-2 T. gluten flour (optional)

1/4 c. wheat berries (brought to a boil, soaked off stove for 1 hour, drained)

Mix, knead, rise twice and bake the dough in whatever way you're used to,
kneading in wheat berries after dough forms a ball, if using a food
processor (okay to do in machine at that point .. for the kneading part,
not mixing -- want them whole, not chopped up .. like adding raisins later
in abm, for example).

Bake at 375 F for about 30 minutes (to internal temperature of
approximately 210 F).

For my taste, this is great toasted.  I also like it for sandwiches,
though.  I haven't tried rolls yet ... we'll see.