Turn your bread machine into a sourdough backery

Robert L Odom <rlodom@brazosnet.com>
Mon, 17 Mar 1997 17:01:38 -0600
v097.n024.2
 Anyone with a bread machine who ,like me, does not like the trouble and time of
"scratch baking" can enjoy sour dough baking.  Assuming of course that
you have a SD starter.  If you do not have a starter I suggest the much
criticized one using grapes.  I have been using SD for many years and this
one is the best flavored you will find anywhere.

Now to the process. It takes 12 hours.  What we are going to do is
use one cup of flour, one cup and one teaspoon of water from the bread
machine receipt to make a sponge.

1. Bring your started to room temp..
2  In a glass or stainless container mix one cup of warm water, one cup
of bread flour and one tablespoon of your starter.
3. Using a fork, whip this mixture briskly to mix and add air to the
spong.
4. Cover the bowl and proof the spong for 12 to 18 hours in a warm
place. I have discovered that the hot water closet stays at 82 degrees
and makes a great proofing room.
5. Now get out your bread machine and follow you receipt.  Remember that
you have already used one cup of flower and on cup plus one teaspoon of
water.

Just in case anyone is interested in the GOOD tasting sourdough, here
is the receipt.

2 cups bread flower.
2 1/2 cups tepid (78 F) tap water
1/2 pound washed, stemmed red grapes.  (Red grapes have a stronger flavor)

Mix flower and water together in 2 quart glass or plastic container.
Place the grapes in a double layer on a peace of washed cheesecloth
and tie opposite corners together to form a bag.  Lightly crush the
grapes with a rolling pin or whatever.  Swish the bag of crushed
grapes through the sour dough slurry to soak it, then submerge
it. Cover tightly with cover or plastic wrap and rubber band.  Leave
at room temp. for 6 days, stirring with a plastic or wooden spoon once
each day.

On day 7 lift out the bag of grapes and squeeze their juices back into
the starter, then through the bag away. Stir up the starter thoroughly
and transfer it into a clean non-metal container.  Add 1 cup of bread
floor and cup warm water to the starter.  Place in the refrigerator.
Repeat the one cup bread flour and one cup water for the next two
days.  Let set for 3 days and it is ready for use.  Starter may be
divided into smaller containers, but I suggest leaving it together.
When used, replace with equal amounts of flower and water.  If you do
this the starter will keep under refrigeration almost indefinitely.
If it goes over 6 mounts without being renewed throw out half of it
and do the 3 day feeding again.

If this sounds like too much I will be glad to share my starter with
you.  This starter needs feeding.  Starting three days before you use
it add 1 cup flour and one cup water each day.  Leave it out at room
temp.  After using what you need, refrigerate.

Bob

rlodom@brazosnet.com