dough enhancer & conditioner ingredients?

music_class@earthlink.net (Katja)
Sun, 16 Mar 1997 09:58:26 -0800
v097.n024.6
Hi,

   I'm curious about Lora Brody's products for bread baking and thought I'd
ask the ingredients here instead of driving to Williams-Sonoma to read the
containers -- am I lazy or what?!! ;).

   I love to make my own things (mixes, etc.) and came across this
somewhere on the Web.  I haven't tried it yet but wonder what's in these
products, what they really do and why.  Anyone know?

      Title: DOUGH ENHANCER
 Categories: Breadmaker, Substitute
      Yield: 32 servings

           -SYLVIA STEIGER; GEnie
      1 c  Lecithin granules
      1 tb Vitamin C powder
      1 tb Ginger, ground

  Mix all ingredients and store in tightly closed glass jar.

  Add to breadmaker in amount equal to yeast with other dry ingredients.
  Start machine.

  Apparently, the ginger gooses the yeast and makes it act more
  swiftly, the ascorbic acid strengthens the gluten, and the lecithin
  aids the oil in causing the strands of gluten to slip against each
  other more easily and thus rise better.

  THE BREADMACHINE COOKBOOK IV by Donna Rathmell German has a section
  titled "Dough Enhancers" and in that section it mentions Lecithin.
  "Lecithin is a food supplement which is obtained from oil in egg
  yolks or soy beans. It improves moisture   and assists in expansion
  and elasticity of the bread dough. Add between 1 and 1 1/2 tsp. of
  lecithin granules per cup of flour."

Katja

PS  I'm having a blast with Joan Matthew's website:
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/8098/.  I was going to check mail
quickly and now, 2 hours later .. still here cuz there's so much to look at
:).  Good job, Joan!