Re:Bagels--boiling and baking time/temp help

"Joan Mathew" <cmathew@iadfw.net>
Sun, 23 Mar 1997 04:52:26 -0500
v097.n027.1
> From: TShea66106@aol.com
> Subject: Re:Bagels--boiling and baking time/temp help
> Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 14:33:32 -0500 (EST)
>
> I've finally been able to produce bagels that are like the ones at the bagel
> bakery: chewy on the outside, soft on the inside.  After much trial and
> error, here's some hints I've found for making a better bagel:
> 1.  Most directions suggest rolling out a rope of dough then forming the
> bagels by pinching together the ends.  I've found they hold their shape much
> better by rolling the dough out and cutting with a doughnut cutter.  You can
> re-roll the "holes" or boil and bake the holes along with the bagels (my
> 2-yr-old thinks the holes are great).  <snip>

It seems like you could also use the holes "as is" to make some kind
of monkey bread.  You could do all kinds of things with the dough,
from making a savory type of monkey bread to a sweet type, or use
the "holes" to make pan rolls of some sort -- hey, they're already
formed!  I've even seen some breads that were fried -- don't have the
recipes handy at the moment -- and maybe these "holes" could be used
to make that type of bread, similar to how we make fried donut holes.

Ah, the possibilities....!  :)

>2.  This is probably the BEST HINT I've picked up:  After you've
>shaped the bagels, place on a waxed paper-lined cookie sheet and
>freeze.  When frozen, store in zip-lock bags until ready to boil and
>bake.  Even though they'll look small and puny, they will puff up and
>rise when you bake them - I promise!

I have not tried this trick, although I've made bagels on many
occasions.  When you take the bagels out of the freezer, do you let
them come to room temperature for some period before submerging them
in the boiling, malted water?  I know they will puff up, but it seems
that if they are not yet room temperature the amount of "puffing"
will be reduced somewhat.  Just wondering...

Joan

cmathew@airmail.net
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/8098/

Deja News: http://www.dejanews.com/     Search, Read, Post to Usenet