dough enhancer & conditioner ingredients?

"Joan Mathew" <cmathew@iadfw.net>
Sun, 23 Mar 1997 04:52:26 -0500
v097.n027.2
> From: music_class@earthlink.net (Katja)
> Subject: dough enhancer & conditioner ingredients?

><snip>
>       Title: DOUGH ENHANCER
>       1 c  Lecithin granules
>       1 tb Vitamin C powder
>       1 tb Ginger, ground
><snip>

>   Apparently, the ginger gooses the yeast and makes it act more
>   swiftly, the ascorbic acid strengthens the gluten, and the lecithin
>   aids the oil in causing the strands of gluten to slip against each
>   other more easily and thus rise better.
>
>   THE BREADMACHINE COOKBOOK IV by Donna Rathmell German has a section
>   titled "Dough Enhancers" and in that section it mentions Lecithin.
>   "Lecithin is a food supplement which is obtained from oil in egg
>   yolks or soy beans. It improves moisture   and assists in expansion
>   and elasticity of the bread dough. Add between 1 and 1 1/2 tsp. of
>   lecithin granules per cup of flour."

I have seen lots of catalogs mention these dough enhancers, as well.
 Indeed, I have been using ginger in my bread products for some time
now, and I recently was involved in a bread-making discussion that
made me realize we could also add citrus juice (e.g., lemon, orange)
to our bread recipes to supply the ascorbic acid.

I was told that 1-2 Tbsp. of citrus juice is sufficient for a recipe
yielding 1 loaf of bread.  I don't think it really matters on the
exact amount, but you might want to substitute this citrus juice for
some of the other liquid in the recipe.  For example, if you're
using 1-1/2 cups of water in the recipe currently, you might wish to
take out 2 Tbsp. of water from that amount and then put in the lemon
juice.

The comment about lecithin being obtained from eggs makes me think
that perhaps we could accomplish the same effect as lecithin
granules by simply adding 1 egg to our recipes, again calculating
for the liquid ratios properly.  Can anyone verify that my logic is
correct on this?

I guess one would also have to consider whether dietary/health
restrictions allow the use of eggs or citrus juice in a recipe, too.
 Folks who have allergies, for example, may not be able to use
certain citrus juices.

Incidentally, I believe that lecithin (and the use of eggs) also
helps to improve the longevity of a bread product when it is not
frozen.  That is, if you leave your bread out on the counter, use of
lecithin, eggs, and/or a small amount of shortening helps to
preserve it a bit longer.

> PS  I'm having a blast with Joan Matthew's website:
> http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/8098/.  I was going to check mail
> quickly and now, 2 hours later .. still here cuz there's so much to look at
> :).  Good job, Joan!

Imagine my surprise to see a "testimonial" about my site here on the
bread list!  Thank you so much for your kind words!  I am very
pleased that you are enjoying my site and finding it interesting and
useful. Keep on "passing the word" as long as you find it enjoyable!

Joan

cmathew@airmail.net
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/8098/

Deja News: http://www.dejanews.com/     Search, Read, Post to Usenet