Re: Converting ounces to cups

"Joan Mathew" <cmathew@iadfw.net>
Sat, 29 Mar 1997 16:16:39 -0500
v097.n027.3
> Hello,
>
> I'm wondering if anyone has an easy trick for converting ounces to cups.
> Or do you all just have a weigh scale in your kitchens?  What I'm doing is
> making some meatballs as an appetizer for Easter tomorrow and my recipe
> calls for 10 oz apricot preserves.  It's a similar recipe to the grape
> jelly/chili sauce recipe, but since I'm not a big grape jelly fan I'm
> skeptical to try it, although from all the good stuff I've heard about it,
> I keep thinking I should.  But then I found a recipe calling for apricot
> preserves and BBQ sauce which sounds more appealing to me.  Anyway, if
> anyone has any helpful tips, I'd be grateful.  It's not just the
> preservatives, I've some other recipes that call for X ounces and I never
> know how to measure that.

Lilia,
  If you have Web access, there is a pretty good cook's calculator
that will convert several types of measurements, including weight,
temperature, and volume.  The URL is:
http://internet.epicurean.com/latest/exchange/calculator.html

There are some other Web sites that contain conversion information
that may be useful for all of you cooks/bakers out there, as good
references for all kinds of measurements (including metric):

see the link about the British/American conversion tables:
http://eng.hss.cmu.edu/recipes/

http://www.cei.net/~terry/auntedna/utilities.html
http://www.envirolink.org/orgs/vegweb/measurements/
http://www.mit.edu:8001/people/wchuang/cooking/recipes/Conversion.txt
http://foodnet.fic.ca/recipes/metric.html

For your particular recipe which calls for 10 oz. of apricot
preserves, I believe we are really talking "apples" and "apples"
here.  That is, we are talking about fluid ounces when dealing with
measurements of preserves, so 10 oz. should equal 1-1/4 cups.

Hope that helps,
Joan

cmathew@airmail.net
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/8098/