Re: Bread Machine yeast

"Bill Hatcher" <bhatcher@gc.net>
Sun, 11 May 1997 10:39:53 -0400
v097.n036.4
Casey -

I use ~~only~~ regular Red Star yeast purchased at Sam's Discount Club in
2-pound packages (in the $2.50 to $3.25 range for the 2 lb. pkg.) and since
I learned that it is imperative to keep the yeast and salt separate prior
to mixing I have not had a single failure due to poor or erratic rising.

I use the same yeast for ABM bread or making it by hand.  I keep a small
jar in the refrigerator for ready use and the remainder in the freezer
until I need to replenish my jar.

I also do not bother bringing ingredients to room temp; my Regal (and I
suspect most other brands) are thermostatically controlled to provided the
correct temperature not only for baking but also for the rising cycles.

Regards.

Bill Hatcher
bhatcher@gc.net
Southampton County, Virginia, USA