Re: Lessons learned

MHarris269@aol.com
Sun, 11 May 1997 08:56:35 -0400 (EDT)

> I guess that explains why Donna G. hasn't come up with a recipe for cabbage
>  bread, right?  I made some veggie soup once. . . ONCE. . . that contained
>  _whole_ head of cabbage.  After consuming a goodly portion, and
>  experiencing the fulsome effects of said cabbage, I ended up feeding the
>  remainder to the dog, then regretted it all evening!

   Donna G. may not have had a cabbage bread recipe, but Sandra W. does, and
it's very tasty.

Vita Bread

1 lb.
                                                                      1.5 lb.

2/3 cup            water                                           1 cup
1" wedge         cabbage                                       1-1/2 " wedge
4" piece           carrot                                           6" piece
2 cups             whole wheat flour                          3 cups
4 tsp.              wheat gluten                                 1-1/2 tbsp.
1 tsp.              yeast                                           1-1/2
tsp.
1/2 tsp.           sea salt                                        3/4 tsp.
1 Tbsp.           lecithin granules or vegetable oil      1-1/2 Tbsp.

    Put the water, cabbage, and carrot in a blender and process for 1 minute
or until
vegetables are completely pulverized.  Then put this mixture and the
remaining ingredients in the bread machine's pan and turn the machine on.
     Soft and moist, this bread is also super-nutritious.  Sugars naturally
present in
the carrots and cabbage feed the yeast, eliminating the need for added sugar.

Per Serving:
   Calories: 79                      Sodium:  92 mg
                         Cholesterol:  0 mg
   Fat: 0.9 g                         Protein:  3.2 g
                            Fiber:  2.7 g

 from "Smart Bread Machine Recipes" by Sandra L. Woodruff

MHarris269@aol.com