Height of Rising Loaves

"Jazzbel" <jazzbel@grouper.batelnet.bs>
Sun, 15 Jun 1997 10:04:11 -0400
v097.n041.2
A friend insisted he did not need his bread machine book.  He gave it to me
it was The Electric Bread.
I have a four other bread machine books, but this is the only one that
rates the loaves according to theri ability to rise.  The rating ranges
from 1 to 5.  They also have a picture comparing a short loaf(pumpernickel)
and a tall loaf(saffron-white flour).  they say, many times, there's
nothing wrong with the loaves, and people complain that the loaf does not
rise.
I made a short loaf yesterday.  It was from a butter milk recipe, and I
substituted the buttermilk for yougurt w/ 1 teaspoon vinegar.  The loaf is
not crumbly, has a nice shape, no air bubbles, just not very high.

I am here wondering whether it is this way, or whether I should change the
flour.  I have been using Canadian Robin Hood(all purpose).  However,
previously, this flour performed better than many strong or bread flours,
so perhaps I should just enjoy my short loaf.  Any suggestions?
Later,
Jazzbel

Bread Baking is lot like married love.
The first loaves of bread you make are not the best
you'll ever make, but they are better than any you've ever bought.
--Anonymous.