Zo kneading -- proper speed?

Susan Chapin <schapin@mitre.org>
Mon, 11 Aug 1997 11:23:20 -0400
v097.n052.8
I am wondering whether my Zo is straining too hard to knead my bread.

Thanks to extensive help from Irwin, I now am making (sort of wheat free)
breads that rise properly.  The basic recipe is

   2 cups Kamut flour
   1/2 cup gluten
   3/4 cup amaranth flour
   1 1/2 TB whey or dry milk
   9 oz. water
   2 TB oil or butter
   2 TB honey
   1 1/8 tsp salt
   1 1/2 tsp SAF yeast

When I transfer the bread to the finnish pan the texture is springy,
stretchy, soft but not sticky -- in other words perfect.  The resulting
bread rises just far enough that I can raise the bail without mashing or
breaking the bread, and the texture is soft, fine, a bit chewy, and fully
acceptable.  The crust is a bit softer than I like, but that's another
story -- basically, this is a good result.

The question:  during the kneading process the paddle doesn't move quickly
and smoothly, but is obviously straining very hard.  It goes uh - - uh - -
uh uh uh -- uh etc.  Should it?  Is this bad for the machine?  I just
replaced the belt, so it isn't an old belt problem.

Thanks for your input,

	- susan