Re: Rival Mixers

"Ellen C." <ellen@elekta.com>
Mon, 11 Aug 97 13:17:43 EDT
v097.n052.10
 * "Michael C. Zusman" <mczkaz@teleport.com> wrote:

* :Looking at purchasing the Rival/Kenmore 7 qt. mixer w/650 watt motor.  The
 * :model number escapes me, but it is advertised in the Chef's Catalog.  Seem
 * :to have outgrown my Kitchen Aid 5 qt., especially with heavier doughs or
 * :larger batches.

Three months ago, I studied the mixers available and decided upon the 5 qt
Rival, largely for the features you described. In talking with helpful people
from this list, and with the owner of "Appliances Online", I learned that both
the 5 and 7 qt Rivals perform very well. As you know, the 7 qt has a larger
motor to support its greater capacity. The only other difference I know of
between the two machines is the mechanism to lift the arm. The large machine
uses a button, the smaller, a "lever" switch. (I don't think this is
significant.)

You might want to check out the Appliances Online page before making your
purchase:  http://www.appliances.com/

I was very pleased with their service, and they offer the Rivals at the best
prices I found. ($339 for the 7 qt model!) They also carry every single
attachment, and there are many available for the Rivals (and they are less
expensive than the KA). The owner of company uses the 7 quart Rival, and he
loves the machine. (They also sell KAs at very competitive prices.) You may
email the owner with any questions. I found him to be very helpful.

The standard disclaimer applies: I am in no way related to Appliances Online; I
am simply a satisfied customer.

BTW, I purchased both the stainless steel and the hard plastic bowls, and I
love them both. The plastic works very well and is much less expensive than the
stainless. It shows no signs of scratches nor discoloration.

One caution: I found the directions in the Rival manual for mixing yeast doughs
to be inadequate. So, for those who are new at kneading in a mixer, I suggest
you look for guidance in some of the excellent bread books that are available.
(My current favorite is the Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book.)

--
Ellen C.
ellen@brakes.elekta.com