recipe: hamburger/hot dog rolls

Lobo119@worldnet.att.net
Tue, 26 Aug 1997 15:59:58 -0600
v097.n054.12
I recently converted my old standard hamburger roll recipe to sourdough and
am sending both.  Both are excellent.

You can substitute any other solid shortening (butter, margarine, Crisco)
for the lard.  You can also halve the recipe successfully.  Don't knead in
any more flour than is necessary to get just past stickiness and they'll
come out light and fluffy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HAMBURGER BUNS

12 cups flour
1 cup lard
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon salt
2 beaten eggs
3 packages yeast
5 cups water

Dissolve yeast in one cup water; then add other ingredients.  A soft dough
should result.  Let rise 1 hour.  Punch down.  Let rise 1 hour.  Shape into
balls on greased cookie sheet.  Let rise 1 hour.  Bake at 375 degrees for
20 minutes.  Makes 48 buns.  These are suitable for freezing and delicious
when warmed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HAMBURGER BUNS - Sourdough version

3 cups expanded sourdough starter
10 1/4 cups flour
1 cup lard
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon salt
2 beaten eggs
3 3/4 cups water
	Mix all ingredients.  You should have a soft dough.  Let rise.  Shape into
balls on greased cookie sheet.  Let rise.  Bake at 375 degrees for 20
minutes.  Makes 48 buns.  These are suitable for freezing and are delicious
when warmed.