Pretzels

Peg Doolin <pegsean@together.net>
Wed, 27 Aug 1997 18:04:47 -0400
v097.n054.13
Hi,

I submitted a recipe for Auntie Anne's Pretzels recently.  When I
decided to make them I discovered the directions weren't complete.  I've
corrected that and also altered them a bit.  The original recipe called
for the pretzels to be baked at 550F for 8 minutes.  After setting off
the smoke alarm at least six times with the first batch (I think the
Crisco I greased the sheet with was smoking) I decided to experiment.  I
reduced the heat to 425F and increased the baking time to 12 minutes.
Seemed to work out fine. The baking time can be adjusted based on how
large and how may pretzels you bake at once.  Another thought crossed my
mind.  The pretzel dough itself is pretty bland.  What gives it the
taste is the melted butter, honey and sugars that are applied
afterwards.  I think any recipe would work fine.  Anyways, the corrected
recipe is attached.

Thanks,
Peg
Essex, VT

---------- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

      Title: Auntie Anne's Pretzels
 Categories: Desserts, Snacks
      Yield: 1 Servings

  1 1/2 ts Yeast
    1/2 ts Brown sugar
      1 ds Salt
  1 1/2 c  Water
      4 c  Bread flour
      2 ts Baking soda
      2 c  Warm water
    1/2 lb Butter
      2 tb Honey
           White sugar
           Brown sugar

  Mix yeast, brown sugar, dash of salt and 1 1/2 cups water.  Let sit for
  five minutes.  Add bread flour.  Knead well.  Let rise for about one hour.
  Grease baking sheet. Mix baking soda and warm water.  Take a piece of dough
  and roll and shape into a pretzel.  The easiest way to shape is to roll
  into a rope, whatever size you prefer.  Pinch ends of rope then bring ends
  of rope to other side of circle.  Dip pretzels in warm water and baking
  soda mixture and put on baking sheet.  Bake at 425F for about 12 minutes.
  While still hot, brush with melted butter and honey.  Sprinkle with white
  and brown sugar (approx. half and half mixture).

-----