home-made bread mixes for gifts

Lee & Bill <steiconi@hotcoco.infi.net>
Sun, 07 Sep 1997 18:49:23 -0700
v097.n056.4
Reggie,

What a great idea!  My favorite basic french bread would lend itself
well for a mix.  This recipe makes 2 lbs of bread:
4-3/4 c flour
2 TBS sugar
2 tsp salt
2 tsp yeast
1-3/4 c water

I usually add herbs to this (which I never measure, but about 2 tsp
total is pretty flavorful), and top with seeds.  I've also substituted
or added whole wheat flour(up to 2 cups), wheat and/or oat bran, cheese,
oil, dried garlic and onions, even spinach powder (which turned the
bread green; I thought it looked gross, but everybody else liked it.)

My favorite herb combo is dried, minced garlic (or garlic powder), dill
weed, and dill seed.

I use a mix of seeds for the top, usually sesame, poppy, flax, and
caraway.  These would look nice in a bow-tied cellophane bag!

Lee
Reggie wrote:   (snipped)