Converting bread machine recipes

Terry & Kathleen Schuller <schuller@ix.netcom.com>
Mon, 08 Sep 1997 17:18:16 -0500
v097.n056.5
Joanna Joyce <jjoyce@hederman.com> in digest 55

"was wondering if there are basic guidelines somewhere for converting bread
machine recipes to conventional recipes.  I am definately a novice when it
comes to baking breads, and don't even have a clue where to start!"

I started to make bread about 25 years ago, stopped for a long time, and
then started again last winter.  I too drooled over the bread machines and
then decided that I really didn't want one.  Personally I enjoy the process
of making bread and being in control of it as much as possible.  Plus so
many people seem to have a lot of problems with their machine.

Once you understand the breakmaking process it is not too difficult to
convert bread machine recipes to hand made ones.  But I think you need to
understand the basic process first.  Make some loaves by hand and then when
you are comfortable with breadmaking you can begin to convert.  Some of the
things to consider in converting recipes include deciding which yeast to
use, what temp to make the fluids, how many times you want the dough to
rise, what size bread pans to use and at what temperature to bake the
bread.  Making these decisions is easier when you are experienced.  The
archives for this list have great basic recipes and you can find good
recipes and basic instructions for making bread on the Fleischmanns Yeast
website, www.breadworld.com.

Good luck!

Kathleen
schuller@ix.netcom.com