Re: Russian Rye Bread

"Natalie Frankel" <Natalie.Frankel@mixcom.com>
Sun, 14 Sep 1997 15:31:46 -0500 (CDT)
v097.n057.2
Bonni was asking for a Russian Rye Bread using light and dark caraway seeds.
I just bought something at Penzey's Spice Shop called Charnuska.  The
description says 'Known as Kalonji in India.  The tiny, black, flavorful
seed found on top of Jewish rye bread in N.,Y. City...also called black
cumin or Russian caraway.  A main ingredient in garam masala.

Could this be the black caraway you are referring to?  I wanted to use
these on a rye bread and was looking for the right recipe.  Hopefully,
the rye recipe that someone sends in response to Bonni's request will
be it.  Has anyone used Charnuska on bread?

Thanks,
Natalie
natalie.frankel@mixcom.com