Cranberry Orange Bread

"Bobbi Terkowitz" <bterk@vion.com>
Tue, 23 Sep 1997 09:41:16 -0400
v097.n058.11
In (belated) response to whomever was looking for a cranberry bread recipe,
here is my favorite.  It's a Thanksgiving staple at my house, it's GREAT
for breakfast--and I recently had some fancy hors d'oeuvres that were
little sandwiches with duck and cranberry relish on corn bread, and I think
this bread (with duck or chicken or turkey) would give much the same
effect.  Enjoy!

CRANBERRY ORANGE BREAD

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup melted butter
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup orange juice
1 1/4 cups raw cranberries, roughly chopped
3 tsp grated orange rind

Sift the flour with the soda, baking powder, and salt.  Beat the eggs and
sugar until well blended.  Stir in the melted butter, milk, and orange
juice.  Stir in the flour mixture just until moistened, and then fold in
the cranberries.  Do not overwork or beat the dough.  Butter a loaf tin
about 10 inches long and 4 to 5 inches wide and spread the dough in the
tin.  Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 55 to 60 minutes, or
until a cake tester comes out clean.  (The top will often crack; this is
typical of soda and baking powder breads.)  Let stand in the tin for a few
minutes before turning out on a rack to cool.  When thoroughly cooled, wrap
in plastic or foil and let stand overnight or at least a day before
cutting.

Regards,
Bobbi