[no subject]

sue@interport.net (Curly Sue)
Sat, 4 Oct 1997 10:21:09 -0400 (EDT)
v097.n060.9
>From: "Michael A. Cohn" <enkidu@mail.utexas.edu>

>>I've been on the list for a while, but this is my first time to write.
>>I enjoy yeast breads, but I really love quick breads--for the taste,
>>and for the ease at which they're made.  I'm looking for low-fat quick
>>bread recipes.
>
>	Ah, I sense I have found here a kindred spirit, one who might
>understand why, when I profess my interest in bread-baking, I fall with
>wrath upon those who answer with "oh sure, I love bread! Banana bread,
>cranberry muffins, carrot loaves. . ." They're talking about pound cake,
>not real bread! I recently posted my favorite soda bread, so I'll send it
>to you privately.

You're a little confused.  Soda bread and the biscuits you posted have more
in common with quick breads than with yeast breads in that the first three
are leavened with baking soda.  Like the soda breads, quick breads and the
batter breads are mixed minimally after the liquid is added so that gluten
does not develop. True pound cakes, OTOH, are leavened with air, which is
accomplished by the creaming of solid fat (with the sugar) and no other
leavening is added, so the crumb is very dense.  Even regular cakes differ
from quick breads in the liquid/flour ratio, as well as the mixing method.

Yeast breads, of course are different from all of the above.  If one allows
pita breads and soda breads into the realm of "breads" there is no basis on
which to eliminate quick breads and batter breads :>  Of course some quick
breads (eg. tea breads) have a lot of sugar, which makes people regard them
as cakes.  But some yeast breads do too.

Sue(tm)