re: preserving bread

"Ruth E. Provance" <rprovanc@osf1.gmu.edu>
Sat, 04 Oct 1997 17:45:36 -0700
v097.n061.8
The original message from Ron Cochran:

I am interested in finding a way to preserve bread that I make in my
Zoji
machine.  Currently, about the last 20% of each loaf is thrown away due
to mold.

I have access to food grade BHT.  Can anyone tell me the correct amount
of BHT to use per loaf (weighs about 1.7 lb.), or can anyone suggest a
better preservative?  I have heard of people using ascorbic acid
(vitamin C) for this purpose, but I do not know what amount to use.
--

The correct amount of BHT to add to homemade bread is NONE!  The main
reason a lot of people bake their own bread is to avoid such

I bake four loaves at a time and keep them in the freezer.  My husband
gets out whole loaves and we eat them before they get moldy.

Other options:

When the bread goes stale, dry it and make breadcrumbs out of it.  I
then make chicken coating mix.

Eat more bread or give it away.

Get a bigger family who will eat the bread faster <g>

Keep baking!

Ruth