questions from you

Fri, 17 Oct 1997 21:44:10 -0700
v097.n062.1
I have been getting a pretty good response back from last week's survey.  I
do appreciate all who have sent in their thoughts and preference.  I have
been asked some questions that I think I need/want to respond to.  Many of
you are asking/stating:

1.  You didn't realize the list is moderated

Well, it has been moderated since it was begun about 8 yrs ago by the first
owner.  We kept it that way.

2.  How does a moderated list differ from a non-moderated list?

A moderated list like we run means that all the posts come to me.  I hold
them and then go through them for off topic subjects, incorrectly addressed
unsub requests, jokes, anything that is seriously antagonistic or flames.
I usually deal with a few jokes a year...so that isn't a problem.  I very
seldom have to delete posts for antagonism or flames...all of you are
wonderful about not doing this...and I really appreciate it.  Mostly what I
deal with are people wanting to unsub and addressing it to the list address
rather then to the '-request' address...I get a very large number of these
a week.  There are also some amount of posts sent to the list that I feel
are not appropriate and I delete those...mainly ads.  I do spend quite a
few hours each week dealing with these admin things.  The software we use
will pretty much keep out spams.

An unmoderated list is one where you get everything that is sent to the
list.  The list software prevents anyone from posting to the list if they
are not subscribed so that keeps out the nearly all the spams.  But you
will get all the things that I filter out.

3.  We are looking into a way to make the list available as either an
unmoderated daily digest or a moderated weekly digest.  More on this later.

So, if you have not sent back your preferences for the survey please keep
those cards and letters coming.  I value each of your input...no matter if
you are a lurker or an active participant...and no matter if you have been
on list since day 1 or just joined 5 minutes ago.

So here is the question again to anyone who has not responded yet.

> Jeff and I have been asked more and more frequently about changing
> bread-bakers-digest to a mailing that could be sent out more often.  We
> always figured that the volume wasn't high enough to warrant it.  We would
> like your opinion on this.
>
> Please send a note to <bread-bakers-survey@jeff-and-reggie.com>
>
> Let us know if you would prefer:
>
> The list to stay as it is
> -OR-
> The list to go to an unmoderated daily digest
>
> Because of the size of the subscriber files (about 4,000 people) we can't
> have it as individual messages.

Let us know what you think.
Reggie & Jeff