avoid Bromides

magherrick@juno.com (Margaret E Herrick)
Sun, 12 Oct 1997 18:48:20 DT
v097.n062.13
Dear Kim,

This is another reason we bake our own breads; to avoid the dangerous
additives.  I buy only King Arthur Unbleached Flour as it doesn't have
bromate or bromides in it.

Have you ever noticed that odd stale smell in the breads aisle of big
supermarkets?  that is caused by the various chemicals added to the
breads.  It lengthens the shelf life and the only one who benefits is the
store!

I avoid "bread machine flours" no matter who makes them.  You can make
your own by adding a little vital wheat gluten and perhaps a little
vitamin C powder.

Did you read where a few of us jumped all over the fellow who wanted to
add BHT to his bread?  this breadlist is good as it helps protect us
against ourselves and educates us.

Best wishes              Maggie