Chapatis

trfox@arcos.com
Mon, 13 Oct 1997 11:51:24 -0400
v097.n062.16
RE: making chapatis - I thought your instructions for chapatis [or rotis as
they can be called] were excellent - I've never measured the flour and water
so I don't know about that, but I agree that warm water works well. I'd like
to add that the food processor does a wonderful job of kneading the dough -
I put the flour and salt in the processor, turn it on, dribble in a little
oil [optional], and then add the warm water slowly until a ball is formed.
The dough should be neither too stiff nor too soft. The main thing is to
cover it and let it sit a while before rolling. If you let it sit too long
some fermentation will occur [which is what I assume the ancient Israelites
did except for the famous exodus].
        When you learn the rhythm of rolling out the chapatis, you discover
that they turn on their own! It's very encouraging to reach the stage at
which one rolls and the chapatis turns obediently.
        Before placing each chapati on the iron skillet, pat it in your
hands above the bread booard to release loose flour.
        Warning: when cooking the chapatis, sometimes a small opening will
appear and steam will escape, so it's a good idea to hold a cloth at all
times while cooking it - and the cloth works well for pressing down to
ensure the chapati is well cooked. The steam cooks the inside of the chapati
and the skilled cooks the outside.
        Prepare a plate with a clean cloth or paper towelling on it. Place
the first chapati bubbled side up, and smear lightly with butter, margarine,
olive oil, etc. The next chapati goes bubbled side down, the third bubbled
side up, slightly smeared, etc. This keeps one side dry and one side
slightly 'moistened'.
   If you deep fry the chapatis, they are called 'puris' and are absolutely
delicious [but not as good for you].

Toby [Toronto/Oakville]