Toastmaster (was : Overbaking?)

"Caron Rose"<crose@sbd.com>
Mon, 27 Oct 1997 08:56:20 -0400
v097.n066.15
My first breadmachine was a Toastmaster.  I got it because it was
reasonably priced, had a good heavy pan, and also made butter.  But I had
the same problem that you do.  My crust was always dark and thick, even on
the lightest setting.  And I couldn't even use the keep warm cycle, because
it made the crust even darker and harder.  I thought it was me, so I
checked with my sister, who had the same model as I did.  She said that
hers did the same thing, but she never thought to tell me because she
really likes the bread with a thick dark crust.  *I*, on the otherhand, do
NOT like that.  I even called Toastmaster, and had them walk me through the
process, to see if I was doing something wrong.  But after about 15 loaves,
I just took the thing back and bought a Zojirushi.  I got nice, light
loaves and a thin tender crust right from the very first loaf.  That was
two years ago, and it's still going strong.

I think that each machine is different, and you almost have to buy one, try
it, and decide whether or not you want to keep it.  It's a shame that there
are no real standards to go by.  One thing I've noticed, though.  It seems
that the pans with thinner walls tend to produce a lighter crust.

I do have to say  one thing for the Toasmaster - it did make wonderful
butter with very little mess.

Caron