Joan Mondale's pumpkin bread recipe

Gael Fashingbauer Cooper <gaelfc@microsoft.com>
Mon, 1 Dec 1997 20:54:03 -0800
v097.n076.19
I'm new to the list and have just been lurking till this point, but am
thrilled to have found a post I can actually answer! Someone asked for a
pumpkin bread recipe that does NOT require a machine. I don't have a machine
and I make this pumpkin bread all the time. It is fabulous! The recipe is a
slight variation from the family recipe of Joan Mondale, former Second Lady
of the U.S. (she's from Minnesota, where I live).

1 1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves (my husband hates these so I leave them out)
1/2 tsp nutmeg
3/4 tsp salt
1 2/3 c all-purpose flour, sifted
2 eggs
1/2 c vegetable oil
1 c canned pumpkin
1/2 c water

Preheat oven to 350F. Sift together the sugar, baking soda, baking powder,
cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, salt and sifted flour. Add the eggs, oil, pumpkin
and water, mix with a mixer. The Mondale recipe recommends pouring mixture
into two greased 9 by 5 loaf pans, but I prefer to use it all in a slightly
bigger pan and make one big loaf. Bake for about 90 minutes; start testing
with a toothpick after a little more than an hour has passed.

Easy and delicious!

Gael Fashingbauer Cooper
gaelfc@microsoft.com <mailto:gaelfc@microsoft.com>