Very Easy Bread

Sally Eisenberg <sparky@netgate.net>
Tue, 06 Jan 1998 13:15:36 -0800
v098.n003.5
     Hi All,

  Happy New Year to all.  I got this recipe from a web site, do love to
surf. I like to look for unusual bread recipes, wither it be technique or
ingredients.
This is a very tasty bread with a real good crunchy crust and soft interior.
I used diet margarine and non-fat smoked cheddar cheese. Did not seem to
make a difference in how the dough performed, or as far as I'm concerned the
taste. Enjoy.

Sally E.

           *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                    One Bowl Cheesy Onion Burger Buns

Recipe By     : joanne@gunnison.com
Categories    : Breads

   5 3/4  cups          unsifted flour -- (5 3/4 to 6)
   3      TBLS          sugar
   1 1/2  tsp           salt
   2      packages      active dry yeast
   2      TBLS          softened margarine*
   2      cups          very hot tap water
   1 1/2  cups          sharp cheddar cheese** -- grated
     1/4  cup           onion -- finely chopped

In a large bowl thoroughly mix 2 cups flour, sugar, salt and
undissolved yeast.  Add margarine.

Gradually add very hot tap water to dry ingredients and beat 2 minutes
at medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally.  Add 1 cup flour, or
enough flour to make a thick batter.  Beat at high speed 2 minutes,
scraping bowl occasionally.  Stir in cheese, onion and enough
additional flour to make a soft dough.  Turn out onto lightly floured
board; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes.  Place
in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover; let rise in warm place,
free from draft, until doubled in bulk, about one hour.

Punch dough down; turn out onto lightly floured board.  Divide dough
into 20 equal pieces.  Form each piece into a smooth ball; place balls
2 inches apart on greased baking sheets. Cover; let rise in warm
place, free from draft, until doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes.

Bake in hot oven (400 degrees) about 15-20 minutes, or until done.
Remove from baking sheets and cool on wire racks.

NOTE:
I used diet margerine* and non-fat smoked cheedar cheese**. Taste tested.
Sally E.