Sausage Cheese Bread

Sun, 18 Jan 1998 15:11:41 -0800
v098.n005.7
I saw this recipe on another mailing list so I wrote to the poster and
asked if I could post it to bbd.  She gave her permission so here it is for
you to enjoy...

Reggie

This is from LVFG53A@prodigy.com (MRS IRA M DENNIS)

This is really good served with soup. We like it with our "super-
duper" Tootie's cream of cheese soup!

                    *  Exported from  MasterCook II  *

                           Sausage Cheese Bread

Recipe By     : Tootie's Special Recipe Collection
Serving Size  : 12   Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Breads - Quick

- --------  ------------  --------------------------------
   1 3/4  cups          flour
     1/3  cup           rye flour or yellow corn meal
   1      tablespoon    sugar
   1 1/2  teaspoons     baking powder
     1/2  teaspoon      salt
     3/4  cup           milk, at room temperature
   2      large         eggs, at room temperature -- lightly beaten
   3      tablespoons   vegetable oil
   6      ozs           bulk sweet Italian sausage, cooked, cooled --
drained, chopped*
     3/4  cup           provolone cheese -- shredded
     1/2  cup           chopped, peeled, roasted red bell pepper*

Preheat oven to 350F. Butter a 9in square pan. Lightly dust with
additional flour and tap out excess. In a large bowl, stir together
flours (or flour and cornmeal) sugar, baking powder, and salt. In
another bowl stir together milk, eggs, and oil until blended. Make a
well in center of flour mixture, add milk mixture and stir just to
combine. Stir in sausage, cheese and red pepper. Scrape batter into
prepared pan and spread evenly. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, or until a
cake tester comes out clean. Remove pan to a wire rack. the bread is
best served warm. Store completely cooled bread in an airtight
container in refrigerator. TO reheat, toast a piece in a toaster oven
for about 2 minutes, or until heated through.
*Link sausage can also be used. Simply remove casing before cooking
sausage.
*To roast red pepper, cut in quarters and remove seeds. Place cut
side down on a foil lined baking sheet. Broil for 8 to 12 minutes, or
until charred. Tops of peppers should be approximately 3 to 5 inches
from the heat source. Remove from sheet and cool. Rinse under cool
running water to remove skin. Use a paring knife to remove remaining
skin.
**Tootie Notes:I purchased a pan that has indentions in the shape of
peppers. I bake this bread in the cast iron pan. It is so cute. I
have played with this recipe in a lot of ways. Adding chopped chilies,
 finely chopped pistachios and what ever. It is always, always
welcome to the table with our cheese soup.