Unusual way to raise dough

Sally Eisenberg <sparky@netgate.net>
Sat, 24 Jan 1998 08:24:35 -0800
v098.n008.10
  Hi Everyone,

    Heres one that will make you laugh.
The way I get bread dough to rise in the winter months, is to set my bread
in a greased bowl, set the bowl on a cooling rack and then set the rack over
a heat register on the floor, that I have close off so it won't get to hot
for the dough. It works great every time. I do cover the bowl with a clean
kitchen towel. Don't want any dust bunnies in the dough. I used this method
with this recipe. Give the rolls a try, they are great with a hearty soup or
even to make a sandwiche.

Sally E.

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                           Onion Mustard Buns.

Recipe By     : Taste of Home
Categories    : Breads

   1      package       active baker's yeast  2 1/4 teaspoons
     1/4  cup           water  110 to 115 degrees -- warmed
   2      cups          milk   110 to 115 degrees -- warmed
   3      Tablespoons   dried minced onions
   2      Tablespoons   vegetable oil
   2      Tablespoons   sugar
   1 1/2  teaspoons     salt
   3      Tablespoons   prepared mustard
   6      cups          all-purpose flour to   6 1/2 cups

 In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add milk, onion, mustard, oil,
sugar, salt and 4 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour
to form a soft dough. Turn out onto a floured surface; knead until smooth (
I used my Kitchen Aid Mixer ) and elastic, about 6 -8 minutes. Place in a
greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place
until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down; divide into 24 pieces.
Flatten each piece into a 3-inch circle. Place 1-inch apart on greased
baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake at
350 degrees F. for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks.

Yield: 2 dozen

One bun (prepared with skim milk) equals 138 calories, 181 mg sodium, trace
cholesterol, 26 gm carbohydrate, 4 gm protein, 2 gm fat. Diabetic Exchanges:
1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.

Sally tested.