Grain Mill

SophieAZ@aol.com
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 03:38:02 EST
v098.n015.1
Wanted to share this info - I purchased the Regal Electric Grain Mill from
Winter Bakers' Catalog - and am extremely glad I didn't invest hundreds of
dollars in the more expensive mills. Affordable ($50.), grinds enough for one
loaf of whole grain bread, no mess, not too loud, fast, and easily
controllable fineness/coarseness of the grind.  It's no different than a large
coffee mill, as far as ease of use.

My local health food store carries whole grains - my question is, they have
bulk "soft wheat berries" and bulk "whole wheat berries" for sale. I bought
the "whole wheat" but, when I got home, I looked up wheats/grains in my
cookbooks, and found that soft wheat is used for cake flour. So, does that
mean that soft wheat would not yield a good loaf of bread? Another store
carries "red wheat berries" - is this good for making bread?

My two cents on the bread paddle sticking - I have had a WestBend Deluxe ABM
for almost three years now. In all that time, the paddle seems to stick (into
the loaf) only when I'm making a heavy, dense bread, such as whole wheat. It
doesn't stick when the recipe uses more white than whole grain flour. (When
paddle does stick, I just pull it out of the loaf using a pair of ice tongs.)

Finally, I thoroughly enjoy receiving this newsletter - lots of innovative,
creative bakers out there!