Powdered buttermilk

"J. Mathew" <joanm@bigfoot.com>
Mon, 6 Apr 1998 07:04:57 -0500
v098.n029.16
> Some recipes I've seen call for buttermilk.  I've been looking for
> the powdered variety.  Anyone know if thisworks in recipes calling
> for buttermilk?  If so, anybody have a clue as to where to find it.
> I live in Colorado.  Have checked the major supermarket chains here
> but to no avail.

1.  Yes, the powdered buttermilk works fine for recipes calling for
the liquid.  The powder is used to make liquid buttermilk, and the
instructions are on the canister.

2.  I generally find the powdered buttermilk, made by Saco Foods, at
my local supermarkets (e.g., Kroger, Tom Thumb, Albertson's, etc.).
I can sometimes ask them to order it, too.  If not, you can reach
Saco Foods at 800/373-7226, or by email at SacoFoods@aol.com.

Hope this helps,
Joan