Cake Yeast

BreadMagician@prodigy.com ( LINDA REHBERG)
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 20:23:20, -0500
v098.n032.13
Tammie,

You were asking about cake yeast and if it still exists.  Yes, it
does and you can usually find it in the deli section of your grocery
store.  Fleischmann's is the only brand I've seen.  It's also known
as "fresh" or "compressed" yeast.  It's the type of yeast most
professional bakers use because it has a lower activating temperature
and is more dependable to work with.  It needs refrigeration and it
has a very limited shelf life of only two weeks, making it costly and
not very practical for home use.

I've tried it in my bread machines and although the manufacturers
don't recommend it, I found that the breads were quite acceptable,
just slightly smaller.

Linda Rehberg
www.breadmachinemagic.com