RE: thermometers

Mitch Smith <smithm@mvp.net>
Mon, 13 Apr 1998 20:22:08 -0500
v098.n032.17
From: CHAMBERS <captnemo@eagle.cc.ukans.edu> wrote:

>I need a small, quick reading thermometer to measure the
>temperature of things you use in making bread (yeasts, water,
>etc)....

>Anyone have any suggestions as to where I can buy a small
>digital thermomenter for $10 or less ... there is a small round
>dial metal thermometer at Target  Stores for $10 but doubt it
>reads faster than my  candy thermometer....

Try a restaurant supply store, though you may need to go to a
medium-large city. Many will sell to the public and have really
good prices.

I have a UEI instant-read thermometer which runs from 0 F. to
220 F. and is NSF (Nat'l Sanitation Foundation) approved. If I
recall, it was $5 at Peerless Restaurant Supply in St. Louis and
its worked like a charm for 5 or 6 years now.

You can get them at gourmet kitchen supply stores, but expect
them to be much more expensive.

- Mitch