converting recipes to NON-bread machine

"J. Mathew" <joanm@bigfoot.com>
Mon, 27 Apr 1998 07:04:06 -0500
v098.n036.3
> From: Jim and Cindy <cmutchie@mindspring.com>
> Subject: Re: Honey Oat Bread (Bread Machine)
> Date: Sun, 26 Apr 1998 13:15:05 -0500
>
> The Honey Oat Bread recipe sounds wonderful.... but I do not have a
> bread machine.  What kinds of changes do I hve to make to make
> this...

Cindy,
  I don't have a bread machine, either; however, I find it very easy
to convert recipes to make them by hand (or with mixer -- I use a
KitchenAid -- or food processor).  Once you know the basic steps in
making any bread, it becomes very simple by only requiring the
ingredient list.  After you've made a recipe, you can judge whether
you want to double it or triple it based on the volumes you want to
make in your kitchen.

  Here is the general sequence I follow when reading a bread machine
recipe:

1.  Add dry ingredients to bowl, except for yeast; whisk to blend.
2.  Add yeast to bowl (I use instant yeast, so I don't proof it);
whisk to blend.
3.  Add liquid ingredients (e.g., water, milk, honey, yogurt, sour
cream, etc.
4.  If using mixer, knead 8-9 minutes (approx)
5.  Remove dough to lightly-greased bowl; let rise until doubled
6.  Punch down; repeat rising
7.  Punch down; shape into loaves (or other forms); let rise
8.  Bake -- most standard yeast breads bake at 375-450 degrees
Fahrenheit, minus 25 degrees if you're using a convection oven.  You
can look at standard recipes that are similar and judge accordingly
for the temperature.  Bake until bread tests done (either by taking
internal temperature of loaves or until loaves sound hollow when
thumped -- rolls will bake for less time).

That's a very generalized sequence, but it always works for me.
Differences might arise if I'm making a specialized type of bread,
such as refrigerator dough, brioche, cinnamon rolls, etc., where you
have rising time in the refrigerator, or special shaping methods,
etc.  Any good cookbook (esp. those specializing in yeast breads)
will have recipes that can help you to learn the standard methodology
for all of these techniques.

Hope this helps,
Joan