Hot Cross Buns

"Linda Garber" <LINDA@gov.ns.ca>
Tue, 9 Jun 1998 10:28:39 -0300
v098.n044.18
Here is the recipe I use.  It is from the Bread Machine Book by Marjie
Lambert with  one change, brown sugar is substituted for white.  That idea
came from the Sunbeam Recipe Book.  I have sometimes added more currants
or raisins.

HOT CROSS BUNS

12 - 16 Ingredients         18 - 24

1        egg                1 + 1 yolk
1/2 cup milk                3/4 cup
1/4 cup brown sugar         6 tbsp
1 tsp   grated lemon peel   1 1/2  tsp
1/2 tsp cinnamon            3/4 tsp
1/4 tsp nutmeg              1/2 tsp
1/8 tsp ground cloves       1/4 tsp
1/2 tsp salt                3/4 tsp
2 cups  flour               3 cups
2tsp    yeast               1 tbsp
1/4 cup currants or raisins 1/2 cup

Put all ingredients except currants or raisins in bread pan and process on
dough stage. Add currants or raisins at beep or after first kneading.
[Sometimes I just knead them in by hand after  dough cycle complete.]
Lightly oil a 9 inch square pan or 10 inch round pan for smaller recipe, a
9 x 13 inch pan or two 8 x 8 square pan for larger.

When dough is ready, remove from pan and punch down.  Cut smaller recipe
into 12 to 16 equal pieces, the larger recipe into 18 to 24 pieces.  Roll
each piece into a ball.  Place each ball about 1/2 inch apart in baking
pan.  Cover loosely and set in warm place to rise until doubled, about 45
minutes to 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 375F.  With a sharp knife or razor blade, cut a cross in
the top of each roll.  Bake 12 to 15 minutes, until a skewer inserted in
the roll comes out clean.

Make a glaze of 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar, 1 Tbsp milk or cream and 1/2
tsp lemon.  Add sugar or mild if needed to give it a consistency to
drizzle over the rolls.  Let rolls cool slightly but not completely.
drizzle icing in a cross, following cuts in the top of bun.