Ezekiel Bread-XP

rgcasey@ix.netcom.com
Wed, 8 Jul 1998 11:52:09 -0500 (CDT)
v098.n051.14
On July 1 "Mega-bytes" <mega-bytes@email.msn.com> gave the
following list of nutritional contents for Ezekiel bread:

> Per loaf - 1 lb, 12-14 slices:
>          Loaf  Slice
> Calories 1,440  120
> Sat Fat  0  0
>  Poly unsat fat 0  0
> Mono unsat fat 9g  .75g
> Protein  165g  13.75g
> Carbo  99g  8.25g
> fiber  396g  33g
> sugars  63g  5.25g
> chol  0  0
> Sod (in beans) 36g  3g
> Iron %RDA 324%  27%
> Cal %RDA 180%  15%
> PLUS 33 Vitamins, minerals and amino acids

Sorry, my engineering background just won't let me pass on this.

A pound of bread weighs 456 grams. Adding up the fat, protein,
carbos, fiber and sugars given in the note I get a total of 732
grams.  I'm especially surprised by the claim for 396 grams of
fiber - typically it's a few percent or less of total weight. Can
someone check these figures?

And just in case there are other technically minded people out
there, how about this one:  I weigh almost 200 pounds and each
day for exercise I climb a hill that's 600 feet high. How many
calories do I burn doing this?  In other words, how much is 600 x
200, or 120,000 pound-feet of work when calculated in food
calories?  I tried to answer this myself and found that there are
two kinds of calories, neither of which gave me a satisfactory
answer.  Somehow I feel I must be burning a few hundred calories
at least in climbing that hill, but I don't get that.  Anybody
know how to convert from foot-pounds to food calories?

Rich Casey