re: Need KA tips

Ruth Provance <rprovanc@gmu.edu>
Sun, 05 Jul 1998 13:30:00 -0700
v098.n051.13
Dear Helen,

I confess, I am the one who talked about leaving the dough a little
sticky just to be sure you don't get doorstops.  The main thing is, go
by experience.  I am sure that the recipes you are converting from ABM
will work just fine in the KitchenAid.  I have also noticed that the
doughs come out like batters if you don't add more flour.  It could be a
humidity thing, too.  Since the herb bread came out well, I wouldn't
worry too much.

My guideline to when the dough is ready is that it should be tacky, but
not wet/sticky, if you can picture that.  If you are using a recipe that
has mostly white flour, you are getting close when the dough cleans the
sides of the bowl and clings to the hook.  Just check frequently and you
will soon get the hang of it.  When you feel you could knead it by hand
without having to scrape it off of your hands, that's probably right.  I
ususally knead by hand a few turns after it comes out of the mixer just
to see if I have it right.

If it comes out good, don't worry about it!

Keep Baking Bread!

Ruth