Ezekiel's Bread

Ruth Provance <rprovanc@gmu.edu>
Thu, 23 Jul 1998 08:19:29 -0700
v098.n054.6
"Take thou also unto thee wheat, and barley, and beans, and lentils, and
millet, and fitches, and put them into one vessel, and make thee bread
therof . . .    Ezekiel 4:9

I found this recipe in a little book I found at the checkstand of my
local supermarket.  It does not require you to grind your own grain and
beans.  It is a huge recipe, though.  One would need a larger machine
than even my KA.  A Magic Mill might be able to handle it.  Or we could
make it by hand!  What a concept!  I have not yet made this bread.

Ezekiel's Bread (a modern version)

4 packets yeat
1 cup warm water
1 Tbs honey
8 cups wheat flour
4 cups barley flour
2 cups soy flour
1/2 cup millet flour
1/4 cup rye flour
1 cup lentils, cooked and mashed
4-5 Tbs olive oil
1/2 - 3/4 cup honey
4 cups water
1 Tbs salt

Dissolve yeast in 1 cup warm water and 1 Tbs of honey.  Set aside 10
minutes.  Combine the next five ingredients.  Blend lentils, oil, honey
and a small amount of water in a blender.  Place in a large mixing bowl
with remaining water.  Stir in two cups of (mixed) flour.  Add the yeast
mixture.  Stir in salt and remaining flour.  Place on floured bread
board and knead until smooth.  Put in oiled bowl.  Let rise until double
in bulk.  Knead again, cut dough and shape into four large loaves.
Place in greased pans.  Let rise.

Bake at 375 F for 45 minutes to one hour.

(There is some confusion about the "fitches" called for in the original
recipe.  Apparently, the fitches referred to an herb.  Cumin, fennel and
nutmeg have all been suggested as the mis-translated "fitches."  Take
your pick or leave themn out.  Any of them will add a unique taste to
your homemade bread.)

>From Healing Foods from the Bible by Bernard Ward, a Globe Digest,
published by Globe Communications Corp., Boca Raton, FL, New York, NY,
Copyright 1998