"Wheat Moths"

Chris <colmstead@opus1.com>
Mon, 5 Oct 1998 15:42:58 -0500
v098.n070.10
>From: Heidi Nick <mhnick@warwick.net>
>Subject: wheat moths
>Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 16:57:48 -0400
>

>Does anyone know a good trick for getting rid of wheat moths?
>
>TIA

My agricultural extension office once identified these grain pests as
"Mediterranean Meal-Worm Moths."  I honestly don't know if that's their
real name.  They are small, brown fluttery things as adults, and 1-3 mm.
sized white larvae before then.

They tend to come into the house in dry pet-food preparations that are
mostly grain.  They rapidly spread to any grain-based product including
crackers, noodles, and snackfoods.

The best way to deal with an infestation is to freeze every grain
product for at least 24 hours, or heat it gently to about 200 degrees F.
for about 15-20 minutes.

If you can't do either of these, throw away the food.

In the worst infestation I have ever known they were even living behind
the labels on the canned goods in that pantry, so if you are determined,
you probably better wash all the cans and shelving, too.

Just a reminder: Do not use pesticides around food products.

Once all the grain products have had the eggs killed, be certain to
store all grain products, especially pet-chows, in air-tight containers.
At least this way if they come back you have limited the population and
its spread.

You can also freeze every package mix or box of pet chow for a day when
you bring it home from the store, as a sort of preventative.

One person I knew let a single spider live near her pantry.  She checked
the web regularly to see what sorts of things were secretly living with
her, and if she saw moths, she started tossing things.  I thought it was
kind of a cute detection method.

This problem is pretty common in the Midwest, so don't take it as a
verdict on your house or housekeeping.

Chris Olmstead