re Sprout Bread

Nancy Hill <nancyh@interlog.com>
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 13:08:09 -0500 (EST)
v098.n079.6
Yesterday I finally got around to making the sprouted wheat berries
bread that Larry posted last month (thanks again Larry!).  It was
*delicious*, but didn't rise high enough by about half.  I'm going to
try it again today or tomorrow.  I'll try adding more yeast, and I may
have pushed the sprouted berries down in the measuring cup too firmly,
resulting in using more sprouted berries than the recipe requires.
(Should I not pack them down at all?)  Also, I notice it's a really
small amount of sugar; should I add a bit more?  It was so good, I
want to fine tune it and make it about 3 times a week.

water	                1 cup
margarine/butter	2-1/2 Tbs.
sugar			1-1/3 tsp.
salt			2 tsp.
sprouted wheat berries	2/3 cup
bread flour		3-1/3 cups
nonfat dry milk		1/4 cup
yeast			2-1/2 tsp.

I used extra virgin olive oil instead of margarine, and all hard whole
wheat flour for the flour.  I guess the fact that I used all whole
wheat flour alone would mean that I should add more yeast...

 > Wheat berry sprouts should be no longer than the berrry itself.

When I made it yesterday, that was about the length of the sprout
(though the *roots* were actually a bit longer), but by today they've
really grown and are quite a bit longer.  I remember with another
recipe I tried it wasn't as sweet if the sprouts were too long.  I
guess I should sprout smaller amounts of wheat seeds more often.  Once
I get organized with this it'll take almost no time at all.

(I didn't put the sprouted berries through the food processor first.)

TIA,

Nancy

--
Nancy Hill, near Toronto  nancyh@interlog.com