Grain Wheat Bread

"Rymer, Greg" <grymer@ingr.com>
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 14:30:01 -0600
v098.n079.7
5 - Grain Wheat Bread
My own recipe
Revised:  11/26/98

This is my favorite sandwich style loaf bread and not a country
style or free form bread. At first glance, this may look like
allot of steps to make the bread. But when you have your first
slice, you may just forget about the steps. I like it best
toasted with butter and jam or as my favorite toasted sandwich.
Recipe yields two large loafs so freeze one for the future....

Starter Recipe:

2C- Warm Water at 105-115 degrees

2-1/4oz. Pkgs.- Dry Yeast

1T- White Granular Sugar

2T- Light Brown Sugar

2C- White Bread Flour - I use Gold Medal

Dough Recipe:

3T- Toasted Wheat Germ*

2T- Unhulled Sesame Seeds*

2T- Unsalted Sunflower Seeds* - Caution: seeds spoil quickly so
use the day purchased

2T- Soy Grits*

1T- Corn Grits*

2t- Cocoa Powder - I use Nestle's in yellow container

1T- Salt

2T- Vital Wheat Gluten*

1C- Hodgson Mills Whole Wheat Grahm Flour

2C- White Bread Flour - I use Gold Medal

3T- Canola Oil

1/4C+1T- Honey - I use Golden Blossom

1T- Dark Unsulphured Molasses, I used Grandma's in green bottle
not yellow

1/2C- Water at 105-115 degrees

1/2C- Whole Milk at 105-115 degrees

3C- Whole Wheat Bread Flour*

Vegetable oil or olive oil to wipe bowl

*- Denotes items purchased in local health food store in bulk

Method:

o- Set oven to 375 degrees 15 minutes before baking, set rack in lowest
position

o- Grease & flour or spray Pam on 2- 10 X 5 X 3 loaf pans; reserve

o- Warm water then place into large bowl with yeast and both
sugars; stir, let proof 10 minutes or until foamy

o- Add 2C flour, mix well to blend smooth; batter will resemble
pancake batter when mixed

o- Cover tightly with plastic wrap  and let rest 2 hours at room
temperature, about 70-75 degrees

o- Separately, mix together remaining dry ingredients in mixing
bowl except for whole wheat bread flour

o- Add starter into mixing bowl of countertop mixer, add milk,
water, honey, oil, molasses and dry mixture

o- Be sure all ingredients have been added, place dough hook on
countertop mixer

o- Start mixer on slow then medium and run until mixture is well
blended and smooth; about 2 minutes

o- Add wheat bread flour in 1/2C increments until dough pulls
away from and cleans sides of bowl; about 5 min.

o- Pour out onto work surface then kneed 8-10 minutes more
adding light dustings of wheat flour as needed

o- Form dough into round shape then let rest while oiling large
bread bowl

o- Place dough into lightly oiled bowl covered with plastic wrap
for 1&1/2 hours at room temperature

o- Divide dough into two equal pieces then roll out one piece
into a 9 X 18 inch rectangle

o- Roll up jelly roll style and shape into loaf then place into
prepared loaf pans

o- Let raise covered with towel for 1&1/2 hours or until doubled
in size and top is round, at room temperature

o- Place into preheated 375 degree oven with  rack in lowest position

o- Bake 40 -45 minutes or until top is brown; if top becomes too
brown, cover with aluminum foil at 15m

o- Remove from oven and remove from pan immediately then let
cool on wire rack before cutting

o- Finished bread keeps well at room temp and tightly wrapped