sugar in bread recipes

Jonathan Lord <jml4s@avery.med.virginia.edu>
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 08:49:13 -0500
v099.n002.18
"Ellen C." <ellen@brakes.elekta.com> wrote:
> What non-refined sweeteners work in yeast doughs? We are eliminating all
> refined sugars from our diet, so that basically leaves brown rice syrup and
> barley malt.  Will these have the same interaction with yeast as sugar does?

After getting my first bread machine for Christmas, I did some experimenting with
making bread without any refined sugars (which my wife cannot eat).  I found a
good thing to use is frozen apple juice concentrate.  I just scoop out two heaping
tablespoonfuls, warm to room temperature and add the concentrate to the liquid
part of the recipe.  I made a whole wheat recipe with the apple juice concentrate
and it came out wonderfully.  There seems to enough natural fructose in the juice
to feed the yeasty beasties adequately.  The loaf gives off a heavenly apple fragrance
whilst it is baking.  By the way, I have a Regal bread machine and it works wonderfully
well.  I've already made about a half a dozen loaves with it since Christmas.
The only problem is that half the loaf usually "disappears" between the time
it comes out of the machine and it fully cools... :)

Jon

Jonathan Lord / Charlottesville, VA 22908
E-Mail: JML4S@Virginia.edu