Bread Machines

MelvinK1@aol.com
Mon, 18 Jan 1999 11:03:56 EST
v099.n006.7
I have read bread-bakers for a couple of years now, but have never written to
respond to any requests.  I have had a Hitachi vertical machine for three
years now.  I use it about once per week.  After I stopped trying to adjust
for the altitude (>5000 feet), I started to get perfect bread.  I do add the
teaspoon of lemon juice to each mix, except pizza dough.

Hitachi, according to Consumer Reports, stopped making bread machines.  I read
this about a year ago, I think.  Mine has been great, but I am already looking
for the one I will have to replace it with when it dies.  I always wanted a
Regal Kitchen Pro, but they were much too expensive--$150 three years ago.  I
bought mine for about $80.

I make basic breads--wheat, rye--by using the recipes in the Hitachi booklet.
I have used other recipes that also turn out well.  The paddle sticks to the
base, even when I use Pam, but it soaks off.  I have used my Kitchen Aid mixer
in the past 23 years, or so, and I could not make as good a loaf, although I
have not tried it recently except for other baking and mixing.  Nothing will
replace that mixer, but unless I have unlimited time, I use my bread machine.
I mix dry ingredients for a few loaves at once, so I can quickly put it in the
machine and let it go.  Someday I will try the poolish someone mentioned.

Thanks for such good information.
Michele (MelvinK1's wife)